Here we have a group photo from 1934 of the wedding of George Cojocar and Mary Banda. The photo was taken on the farm of Nick and Garafira Cojocari. There are 36 people in the photo and I have only named 17 of them. I need your to help identify some of the guests in this photo if you can.
For February 12, 1934 it doesn't look like it was a very cold February day for a wedding. Where is the snow? It seems that most of the early weddings were conducted outside of the farming season when people had the time. This was a party that went on for days! You can read more about a Romanian-style wedding in Romanian Wedding Traditions.
The granary that is behind the group was converted into a home for the wedded couple.
With your assistance maybe we can document the photo as has been done in Kayville Citizens 1920.
The photo I have is quite small so blowing it up doesn't necessarily make the faces much clearer. If you click on the photo or here you can see a larger version.
I have labelled people with a number on their chest where there was room and where there wasn't room I have just connected the number over their head to them. How many can you name?
List of people in the photo by number:
1. Ion "John" Cojocari. Uncle of the groom. Married to Maranda (#4).
2. Unknown. Can't see the face so unless you have this same photo with a list of people we might never know who this was.
3. Unknown. Can't see the face so unless you have this same photo with a list of people we might never know who this was.
4. Maranda Cojocari nee Tehulka. Aunt of the groom. Married to Ion "John" (#1)
5. Unknown. Can you name this person?
6. Unknown. Can you help me name them?
7. Unknown. Do you know them?
8. Maria "Mary" Craciun Banda nee Comshoi. Mother of the bride. Widowed twice. Read more in So There We Were, Standing On The Side of the Road
9. Unknown. Can you name this person?
10. Garafira “Grace” Cojocari nee Stratinar. Mother of the groom (#16) and married to Nicholai "Nick" (#11).
11. Nicholai "Nick" Cojocari. Father of the groom (#16) and married to Garafira “Grace” (#10).
12. Coston Ursu. Husband of Frozina (#22)
13. Unknown. Can you help me name this person?
14. Unknown. Can you identify them?
15. Joseph Stefan. Brother-in-law of the bride. Still single at the time of this photo but in a couple of years he would marry Paraschiva “Eva” (#17)
16. George Cojocar. The groom being wed to Mary Banda (#19)
17. Paraschiva “Eva” Stefan nee Banda. Sister of the bride. Still single at the time of this photo but in a couple of years she would marry Joseph Stefan (#15)
18. Vasile "Wesley" Cojocar. This is a complete guess on my part. Tell me I'm wrong. Cousin of the groom and married to Mary (#35).
19. Mary Banda. The bride being wed to George Cojocar (#16)
20. Unknown. Seems to be the escort for Annette “Anna” Golka nee Cojocar (#23)
21. Unknown. Can you help me name this person?
22. Frozina Ursu nee ???. Matron of Honour and Wife of Coston (#12)
23. Annette "Anna" Golka nee Cojocar. Sister of the groom (#16). She wouldn't marry Benjamin “Ben” for a couple of decades. I don't know who she is with in this photo (#20).
24. Unknown. Do you know them?
25. Unknown. Can you identify them?
26. Nick Neamtu. Brother-in-law of the groom (#16) and married to Verona "Vera" (#29).
27. Unknown. Do you know this person's name?
28. Unknown. Can you help me name them?
29. Verona "Vera" Neamtu nee Cojocar. Sister of the groom (#16). She was already married to Nick #26.
30. Unknown. Do you know their name?
31. Unknown. Can you identify them?
32. Unknown. Do you know this persons name?
33. Unknown. Can you help me name them?
34. Unknown. Do you know their name?
35. Mary Cojocar nee Donison. All I can say is that it sure looks like her. It makes sense for her to be there. She is married to the cousin of the groom Vasile "Wesley" Cojocar (#18).
36. John Cojocar. I am not 100% sure this is him but John seemed to have the same expression in many of the photos I have. John is brother of the groom (#16) and it makes sense that he was there. He would have been single in this photo however the following year he would wed Leonora Petrescue. Maybe she is in this photo too?